PUNJAB PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION, LAHORE
EXTRA ASSISTANT COMMISSIONERS / EXCISE AND TAXATION OFFICERS /
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR LOCAL FUND AUDIT / TREASURY OFFICERS / DISTT:
ACCOUNTS OFFICERS / ASSISTANT REGISTRAR COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES /
LABOUR OFFICERS / DISTRICT FOOD CONTROLLER / CIVIL DEFENCE OFFICERS
COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION, 1994
PAPER ON: GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS: 100
NOTE: (i) Attempt in ENGLISH language.
(ii) Answer FIVE questions including Question No. 1 which is compulsory.
(iii) Credit will be given for precis presentation of facts and for sound and critical answers.
- (a) Write the word ‘T’ against true and ‘F’ against the false of the following statements: (Write full statement in your answer script and indicate T or F). (10)
- The normal temperature of a human body is 37oC.
- There are three basic colours. New colours are evolved by mixing them. One of the basic colour is green.
- District Okara belongs to Multan Division.
- Planet Pluto of the Solar System is the farthest from the Sun.
- Methane is the main constituent of the natural gas.
- Soda ash and caustic soda are two different chemicals.
- Carbon dioxide gas is composed of carbon and oxygen.
- Ice floats on water because it is chemically different from water.
- Pakistan came into existence on August 15, 1947.
- Nishan-i-Haider is the highest civil award of Pakistan.
(b) How is Nuclear energy produced? Discuss its peaceful uses. (4 + 6)
(c) Who is, (6)
- the Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces of Pakistan.
- the Prime Minister of Great Britain.
- Chairman of the Senate of Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
- the Prince of Wales.
- Governor of the Punjab.
President of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Government
(d) Give short answers: (14)
- The population of a village was 18,000 in the last census. It has increased by 7/10 since then. What is its present population?
- Which one is the odd-man out?
August, September, October, November, December
- 3/7 of what number is 18?
- Brazil was the winner of World Cup 1994. What was the score of the final match and who was the runner up?
- The Mughal dynasty played an important role in the History of Sub-continent. Name at least seven rulers in order of their succession.
- Name the green pigment which helps the reaction between carbon dioxide and water to occur in plants.
- Who invented the name of Pakistan and how was it formed?
2 Discuss the measures enforced by Government of Pakistan for the control of narcotics in the country. (15)
What are the main causes of the failure of the police force to bring down the rate of crime in the country? Suggest possible remedial methods to control the crime. (15)
Discuss the main causes of deterioration of examination system in Pakistan. Suggest the methods by which the examination can be held free from unfair means. (15)
Critically examine the steps taken by UNO and European community to settle Bosnia and herzegovina issue. (15)
Describe the events which led to the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. Critically assess the role played by the USA. (15)
Friendly relationship between India and Pakistan is not possible till the settlement of Kashmir dispute according to aspiration of Kashmir people. Discuss the Kashmir issue in the light of the latest situation in the Kashmir valley. (15)
Write a short note on any of the following: (15)
(i) Ozone Layer (ii) Khalistan movement in Indian Punjab (iii) Inflation (iv) Simla Accord (v) UNESCO (vi) Environmental Pollution