JOURNALISM & MASS COMMUNICATION
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION-2009 FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
TIME ALLOWED Part-I 30 Minutes Maximum Marks 20
Part-II 2 hours & 30 Minutes Maximum marks 80
Part – I ( MCQ) (COMPULSORY)
Q.1 Select the best option/answere and fill in the appropriate box on the answere sheet.
1) What is Scope?
(a) Common report (b) Beat news (c) Exclusive story (d) None of these
2) What is Superhead?
(a) Multi common story (b) Headline of the paper (c) Sub- heading (d) None of these
3) Stringer is called to,
(a) whole time employee (b) part-time correspondent paid a column rate (c) Sub-editor (d) None of these
4) Extra – personal communication is?
(a) With family (b) Self (c) With more than two persons (d) None of these
5) Newspaper’s master head is called: (a) Headline (b) flag (c) Sub-heading (d) embargo
6) FOLIO is the name of:
(a) Follow up (b) Page number (c) Date line (d) Cut
7) Who was the first editor of the daily Jhang?
(a) Mir Shakeel – ur-Rehman (b) Altaf Hussain (c) Mir Khalil-ur- rehman (d) Nasim Hijazi
8) Acknowledgement if the source of a picture or a story is called?
(a) Credit line (b) Byline (c) Courtesy d) Reference
9) Continuation of a story on another page is called?
(a) Reference (b) Follow-up (c) Jump (d) None of these
10) PEMRA Ordinance was implemented in:
(a) 1997 (b) 2002 (c) 1998 (d) 2004
11) The term “Global Village” was coined by:
(a) George Gerbener (b) Marshal Mcluhan (c) Wilber Schramm (d) Pamela Shoemaker
12) Press Note can issue?
(a) Editor (b) Government official (c) Reporter (d) Sub-editor
13) Registration of Press and Publication Ordinance was introduced in: (a) 1963 (b) 1971 (c) 1973 (d) 1988
14) The founder of daily ‘Pakistan Times’ Was:
(a) Mian Iftikhar-ud-din (b) Faiz Ahmed Faiz (c) Quaid-I-Azam (d) None of these
15) The term ‘Deck’ is used for:
(a) Headline (b) Part of a headline (c) Box (d) None of these
16) The term yellow journalism was started from
a) Pakistan b) India c) Germany d) USA
17) The inventor of the printing press was:
a) Marshal McLuhan b) Ts’ai Lun c) Johannes Gutenberg d) Non of these
18) Pakistan’s first official news agency was
a) UPI b) IPA c) APP d) NNI
19) Nasim hijazi was Editor of the daily
a) Shaheen b) Kohistan c) Imroze d) Mashriq
20) CNE stands for
a) Council of newspaper editor b) Chief News Editor c) Committee of Newspaper Employees d) Non of these
Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from the Part II Selecting at least Two Questions from Each Section. All Question Carry Equal marks
Q2) Discuss the concept and barriers if communications. Are these barriers also existing in this modern information age?
Q3) News have in-depth influence in any society. Discuss the effects of different news on Pakistan Society
Q4) Zimindar played a very effective role against British imperialism. Discuss in detail.
Q5) Evaluate critically the performance of private T.V channels in Pakistan
Q6) how ‘Print Media’ is so important in Pakistan society after the development of “electronic Media”? Argue in detail
Q7) “Advertising is the spinal cord of any media organization”. Discuss all aspects.
Q8) What is the difference between ‘Public Relation Officer’ and ‘Personal Assistant’? Mention the role and responsibilities of a good P.R.O.
Q9) Describe an ideal ‘Press Code of Ethics’ for Pakistan Journalists.