FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2007.
ISLAMIC HISTORY AND CULTURE, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all. Including question No. 8 which is compulsory. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
1. “The Arabian in general and Beduin in particular is a born democrat”. (P. K. Hitti). Keeping this statement in view, discuss socio-political condition of Arabia before Islam.
2. Discuss the steps taken by the Holy Prophet (PBUH) to ensure peace and tranquility in a society of acute anarchy at Madina.
3. Estimate the role of Hazrat Abu Bakr, as a protector of Islam.
4. Determine the basic characteristics of Economic System of Islam.
5. Write an Essay on the scientific and literary progress of the Muslims during the Abbasid Period.
6. Enumerate the various causes of the decline and disintegration of the Ottoman Caliphate and also describe its aftermath.
7. Write short notes on any Four of the following:
(a) Hilf Al-Fadhul (b) Khazraj (c) Jabia Conference (d) Bair Al-Hikmat (e) Samarrah (f) Al-Mu’atta
8. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) First compilation of the Holy Quran was completed during the period of Hazrat:
(a) Abu Bakr (b) Umar (c) Uthman (d) None of these
(2) In 14 Hijri / 635 AD ________ laid the foundation of Basrah.
(a) Hazrat Umar (b) Khalid bin Walid (c) Utbah bin Ghazwan (d) None of these
(3) Hazrat Uthman assassinated in the month of:
(a) Ramazan (b) Rajab (c) Zilhaj (d) None of these
(4) Hazrat Ali shifted the capital from Madina to:
(a) Basra (b) Fustat (c) Damascus (d) None of these
(5) Hazrat Khalid bin Walid belonged the tribe of:
(a) Hashim (b) Umayyah (c) Makhzum (d) None of these
(6) ________ is known “First year of Unification in the history of Islam”.
(a) 40 Hijri (b) 41 Hijri (c) 70 Hijri (d) None of these
(7) _________ was the conqueror of Spain.
(a) Mohammad bin Qasim (b) Qutaibah bin Muslim (c) Tariq bin Ziyad (d) None of these
(8) The last Caliph of Ummayads was:
(a) Hisham bin Abdul Malik (b) Marwan II (c) Yazid II (d) None of these
(9) Umayyad Caliphate lasted for __________ years.
(a) 90 (b) 92 (c) 132 (d) None of these
(10) Baghdad was founded by:
(a) Harun (b) Mamun (c) Mansur (d) None of these
(11) Kitab Al-Khair was written by:
(a) Imam Malik (b) Imam Abu Hanifa (c) Imam Yousuf (d) None of these
(12) ‘Jizya’ is a:
(a) Poll tax (b) Land tax (c) Property tax (d) None of these
(13) Abbasid Caliphate came into being in:
(a) 122 Hijri (b) 132 Hijri (c) 142 Hijri (d) None of these
(14) Ishaque Musli was a famous:
(a) Musician (b) Historian (c) Jurist (d) None of these
(15) The first Wazir to Abbasids was:
(a) Abu Salama Khalal (b) Abu Muslim (c) Yahha Barmaki (d) None of these
(16) The first capital of Abbasid Caliphate was:
(a) Baghdad (b) Samara (c) Al-Hashimiyah (d) None of these
(17) Abu Bakr ibn Zakaria al-Razi (RHAZES) was a great:
(a) Historian (b) Jurist (c) Physician (d) None of these
(18) ‘Siyasatnama’ was written by:
(a) Al Kindi (b) Nizamul Mulk Tusi (c) Al-Farabi (d) None of these
(19) Sultan Salim-I became first Osmani Caliph in:
(a) 1517 (b) 1520 (c) 1525 (d) None of these
(20) Institution of ‘Khilafat’ abolished by:
(a) Anwer Pasha (b) Mustafa Kamal Pasha (c) Ismet Inono (d) None of these