FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BPS-17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2005
HISTORY OF U.S.A.
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
- Some American historians insist that the American Revolution was a social upheaval as well as a political revolt. Discuss the social and economic results of the Revolutionary years.
What is Monroe Doctrine? On what occasions has it been enforced and with what results?
Assess the contributions of President Woodrow Wilson to the problem of world peace and security.
Compare and contrast the views of each of the following towards the institution of slavery in the United States.
Charles Summer, Stephen A. Douglas, Abraham Lincoln.
Highlight salient aspects of American foreign policy since World War II.
What do you understand by ‘Manifest Destiny’? What fruits it bore in the shape of expansion of United States?
Write short notes on any TWO of the following:
(a) Compromise of 1850 (b) Jay’s Treaty (c) War with England 1812 (d) NATO
8. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) Virgin Island were purchased from:
(a) Spain (b) Denmark (c) Portugal (d) None of these
(2) Rhode Island was _________ state to enter original 13 States which joined the Union.
(a) First (b) Last (c) Penultimate (d) None of these
(3) Philippine Islands were acquired by US in _________.
(a) 1909 (b) 1799 (c) 1899 (d) None of these
(4) Puerto Rico ceded to US by _________.
(a) Spain (b) Denmark (c) Russia (d) None of these
(5) John Adams was _________ US President.
(a) Third (b) Eleventh (c) Twenty Fifth (d) None of these
(6) Spain financed Westward voyage of Columbus in _________.
(a) 1492 (b) 1482 (c) 1472 (d) None of these
(7) The Albany Congress (1754) was attended by delegates of _________ colonies.
(a) Thirteen (b) Seven (c) Eleven (d) None of these
(8) The Boston Massacre took place in _________
(a) 1763 (b) 1770 (c) 1773 (d) None of these
(9) Oregon was acquired in _________.
(a) 1812 (b) 1839 (c) 1846 (d) None of these
(10) The Gadsen purchase of 50,000 square mile of land was primarily for the construction of _________.
(a) University Town (b) Railways (c) Canals (d) None of these
(11) Black birding is _________.
(a) Seven (b) Eight (c) Nine (d) None of these
(12) Black birding is _________.
(a) Legal importation of slaves (b) Illegal importance of slaves (c) Legal hunt of birds (d) None of these
(13) Congress of US consists of _________.
(a) Senate, House of Lords (b) Senate and President (c) House of Representative & President (d) None of these
(14) Article 1 of US constitution says, “No person can be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age of _________ years and _________ years a citizen of the US”:
(a) Twenty Five and 10 years (b) Thirteen and 07 years (c) Twenty Five and 07 years (d) None of these
(15) First _________ amendments were passed by the congress on September 25, 1789.
(a) Ten (b) Fourteen (c) Four (d) None of these
(16) KKK stands for _________.
(17) Delaware State is nicknamed _________ state.
(a) Donkey (b) Dog (c) Diamond (d) None of these
(18) Era of Good Feeling was during the presidency of _________.
(a) George Washington (b) James Monroe (c) Franklin D. Roosevelt (d) None of these
(19) The slogan of ‘Fair Deal’ was given by _________.
(a) President Truman (b) President Nixon (c) President Andrew Jackson. (d) None of these
(20) _________ is known as father of the constitution:
(a) George Washington (b) Samuel Adams (c) James Madison (d) None of these