FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2004.
GEOLOGY, PAPER – II
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
1. What is PORPHYRY Copper deposit? Describe the geology of SAINDAK area.
2. Describe the ranks of Coal. What are the problems of Utilization of THAR Coal?
3. What geological factors must be considered in the selection of sites for DAMS? Discuss the silting problem in Mangla and Terbela.
4. Explain the DARCY Law. Can groundwater exploration be an alternate to Kalabagh Dam?
5. Describe the structure and stratigraphy of SUI gas field. What are the advantages and disadvantages of an international gas pipeline to Pakistan?
6. Discuss two common geophysicians techniques employed in the exploration of oil and for groundwater.
7. What factors are responsible for Landslides? How will you stabilize a frequently sliding mass of shales and mudstone?
8. Write very short answers on the following:
- Artesian Well
- Cable tool drilling
- Talcthermal deposits
- Ceramic minerals
- Tar sands
- Water logging
- Bouger anamoly
- Stratigraphic traps
- Sour gas
- Formation pressure
- Pile foundation
- Resistivity log
- Compressive strength
- Decorative stones