FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2001.
GEOLOGY, PAPER – II
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
1. Briefly describe the case histories of the following oil and gas fields:
(a) Marl Gas Field
(b) Khaskheli Oil Field
(c) Dhulian Oil Field
(d) Dhodak Condensate Field
2. How gravity and magnetic techniques are useful in hydrocarbon exploration?
3. Describe various kinds of gemstones and give their occurrences from Pakistan.
4. Describe the environmental conditions of the transformation of organic matter into kerogen. How the expulsion occurs from the source work?
5. Write in detail note on salinity and water logging problems in Sindh Region.
6. How sites for dams’ construction are investigate? Which site you will suggest for dam construction on Indus River? Discuss.
7. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Types of aquifers (b) Geochemical exploration technique (c) Radioactive minerals of Pakistan (d) Metallogeny of Pakistan
8. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) The most necessary property of a reservoir is:
(a) Porosity (b) Voids (c) Permeability (d) None of these
(2) The oldest coal field of Pakistan is found in rock of:
(a) Cambrian age (b) Tertiary age (c) Permian age (d) None of these
(3) The youngest oil reservoir rock of Indus Basin is:
(a) Khera Sandstone (b) Murree sandstone (c) Pab Sandstone (d) None of these
(4) The dam situated on Kabul River in Pakistan is known as:
(a) Warsak dam (b) Hub dam (c) Tarbela dam (d) None of these
(5) The toposheet that is used for geological mapping is usually of scale:
(a) 1:50,000 (b) 1:100,000 (c) 1:63,360 (d) None of these
(6) One ton of oil is equal to US bbl:
(a) 7.33 (b) 3.77 (c) 37.7 (d) None of these
(7) In Khewra Salt Mines which method is used for mining salt:
(a) Open mining (b) Pillar & room (c) None of these
(8) Best quality of Barite is reported from:
(a) Khuzdar (b) Kallat (c) Ziarat (d) None of these
(9) In which of the following carbon content is the highest:
(a) Peat (b) Bituminous (c) Lignite (d) None of these
(10) Measuring units for natural gas is:
(a) BTU (b) MMCF (c) BBL (d) None of these
(11) The Petroleum geology of Pakistan books is written by:
(a) V. N. Qadri (b) S. M. G. J. Qadri (c) I. B. Qadri (d) None of these
(12) Velocity of P waves is minimum in:
(a) Salt dome (b) Basalt (c) Shale (d) None of these
(13) Isopach contour map represent:
(a) True thickness (b) Drill thickness (c) Apparent thickness (d) None of these
(14) The Travertine mineral is considered to be the result of:
(a) Placer deposit (b) Hot spring deposit (c) Fluvial deposit (d) None of these
(15) Aquifer causes of land slide is:
(a) Connate water (b) Percolated water (c) Meteoric water (d) None of these
(16) Major cause of land slide is:
(a) Gravity (b) Vertical bedding (c) Rainfall (d) None of these
(17) The instrument which measure the intensity of earthquake is:
(a) Geophone (b) Seismograph (c) Magnetometer (d) None of these
(18) Coal is found in one of the following environment:
(a) Marine (b) Terrestrial (c) Shoreline (d) None of these
(19) Remote Sensing Exploration is highly useful for:
(a) Water (b) Mineral (c) Hydrocarbon (d) None of these
(20) Which one of the following is a trace element in petroleum hydrocarbon?
(a) C (b) H (c) S (d) None of these