FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2007.
GEOLOGY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: (i) Attempt FIVE questions in all including question No. 8 which is compulsory. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
(ii) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered
(iii) Candidate must draw two straight lines (==================) at the end to separate each question attempted in Answer Books.
1. When and how the Plate Tectonic Theory was established? Describe various layers of Earth with their characteristics.
2. How many kinds of Geomorphic Cycles are possible? Discuss process of chemical weathering in detail.
3. Describe various kinds of primary sedimentary structures and their role in identification of top and bottom of a Bed surface.
4. What is the importance of Fossils in Geology? Describe various processes of fossilization.
5. Enlist generalized succession of Paleozoic Era found in Salt Range and discuss the regional Unconformities established in Indus Basin of Pakistan.
6. Describe various Crystal System briefly and give examples of two minerals at least for each system.
7. Differentiate between Plutonic and volcanic rocks in detail and give examples of rocks from Pakistan and at least five for each kind.
8. Define/Describe briefly the following terms:
- Index fossil
- Detachment fault
- Braided river
- Mass wasting
- Stratigraphic code
- Textual maturity
- Abyssal plain
- Type locality
- Kirana group
- Diaper fold
- Steno’s law
- Complete the following chemical equation: 2KAISi3O8 + Carbonic acid + Water = _________ + _________ +_________ +_________