FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2005.
GEOLOGY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
1. Define mineral, crystal and rock. Describe the Feldspar group of minerals.
2. How do you classify Folds? Discuss the types of Folds in the mountains of Balochistan.
3. Discuss the process of weathering and erosion. What is the importance of these processes?
4. Describe the morphology of Brachiopods. What is their significance in the stratigraphy of Pakistan?
5. What is the difference between magnitude and intensity of an earthquake? What are earthquake resistant structures?
6. What is Stratigraphic Code of Pakistan? Describe the Paleozoic rocks of the Salt Range.
7. How do the sediments convert to sedimentary rocks? Describe a few elastic sedimentary rocks.
8. Write very short note on the following:
- Sedimentary facies
- Ropy lava
- Flute cast
- Continental shelf
- Fossil fuel
- Gray wack
- Extension joints
- Submarine fan
- Graded river
- Chevron folds
- Axis of symmetry
- Marker bed
- Interference colors