FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2003.
GEOLOGY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
Note: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including QUESTION N0.8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks, illustrate your answer with the help of sketches and diagrams where needed.
1. What are Sedimentary Rocks? How are these classified?
2. How Earth came into being? Briefly discuss theories about its origin.
3. What are EARTHQUAKES? How are these produced? What measures need to be adopted to mitigate the damage caused by the earthquakes?
4. What is meant by CONTINENTAL DRIFT and PLATE TECTONICS? Discuss various tectonic elements of the Earth. :
5. What are FOSSILS? How are these preserved? List the most important INDEX Fossils of Pakistan.
6. What is STRATIGRAPHY? Briefly describe various stratigraphic units? Summarize the Paleozoic stratigraphy of the Salt Rage.
7. What is a MINERAL? Discuss various ROCK-FORMING MINERALS with the help of examples.