FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2005.
BOTANY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: (i) Attempt FIVE questions in all including question No. 8 which is compulsory. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
Q No. 1. (a) Describe in detail the life cycle of Chara. Why it is considered more close to chlorophyceae?
(b) Write a note on followings: (i) Vegetative reproduction in Nostoc (ii) Sexual reproduction in Oedogonium (iii) Plant body of Vaucheria
Q No. 2. (a) What are different types of Lichens? Give in detail methods of reproductions in Lichens.
(b) Describe in detail the economic importance of fungi.
Q No. 3. (a) What do you know about Stellar System? Describe different kinds of stele.
(b) Differentiate between the following (i) Heartwood and Sapwood (ii) Protoxylem and Metaxylem (iii) Parenchyma and Collenehyrna (iv) Porous Wood and Non porous wood (v) Apical meristem and Lateral meristem (vi) Taxonomy and Systematics
Q No. 4. (a) What are different types of systems of classifications? Illustrate your answer with the help of example.
(b) Write a note on followings: (i) Binomial Nomenclature (ii) Rules of Nomenclature
Q No. 5. (a) Describe in detail male and female cones of Pinus.
(b) Draw neat and labelled diagrams of TS of leaf of Pinus.
(c) What are stomata? Describe its structure and functions
Q No. 6. (a) Give an account of life cycle of Equisetum.
(b) Write a detailed note on Pollination.
(c) What do you know about Sporophyte of Riccia
Q No. 7. (a) Write down the characters of bryophytes.
(b) Write a note on chemotaxonomy.
(c) What is the economic importance of algae?
Q No. 8. Write only correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question.
(1) Bentham and Hooker system of classification is an example of:
(a) Artificial system (b) Natural system (c) Modern system (d) None of these
(2) Potato belongs to family:
(a) Solanaceae (b) Cruciferae (c) Malvaceae (d) Gramineae
(3) Fruit is technically defined as:
(a) endosperm (b) Endocarp (c) Cosphere (d) None of these
(4) Double fertilization is typical feature of:
(a) Bryophytes (b) Algae (e) Fungi (d) Angiosperm
(5) Plant cell wall composed of:
(a) cellulose (b) Glucose (c) chlorophyll (d) None of these
(6) The sieve elements are the major components of:
(a) Xylem (b) phloem (c) Cambium (d) None of these
(7) The phenomenon of meiosis always takes place in:
(a) Somatic Cell (b) Sex cell (c) Meristematic (d) None of these
(8) Funaria is an example of:
(a) Fern (b) Algae (c) Fungi (d) Liverworts
(9) Damping off disease is caused by:
(a) Ustilayo (b) Aspergillus (c) Penicillium (d) None of these
(10) Algaeo are divided into different classes on the basis of:
(a) Body form (b) Pigments (c) Methods of Reproduction (d) All of these
(11) In ascus mother cell after meiosis the number of nuclei produced are:
(a) 2 (b) 4 (c) 16 (d) 8
(12) Blue green algae is a common name of:
(a) Xanthophyceae (b) Chlorophyceae (c) Cyanophyceae (d) Charophyceae
(13) The largest algae in size
(a) Acetabularia (b) Kelps (c) Fucus (d) None of these
(14) Agar agar is obtained from member of class
(a) Phaeophyceae (b) Chrysophyceae (c) Rhodophyceae (d) None of these
(15) The fibres found in phloem are called
(a) Wood fibre (b) Bast fibre (c) brush fibre (d) soft fibre
(16) In bryophytes the vegetative by
(a) Sporophyte (b) Stromboli (c) Gametophyte (d) None of these
(17) Marchantia reproduces vegetatively by
(a) budding (b) Gemma cup (c) apospory (d) None of these
(18) The differentiations of sporophyte into foot seta and capsule is the characteristic of
(a) angiosperm (b) Gymnosperm (c) Pteridophytes (d) Bryophytes
(19) If Xylem is present on inner side while phloem occupies outer side then this type of arrangement of vascular bundle is called
(a) concentric (b) bicollateral (c) collateral (d) None of these
(20) Sporophyte generation is borne upon gametophyte and is dependent upon it. This character is found in
(a) Adiantum (b) Cycas (c) Equisetum (d) None of these